First registration

3 steps to enrol in the University:

  1. The pedagogical registration at ED STIC, with different procedures according to where you obtained the Master and which laboratory you will join
  2. The administrative registration at the university records office ("scolarité" of UCA or PSL)
  3. The opening of your electronic identity and the participation in the welcome day of ED STIC

1. Pedagogical registration at ED STIC

All documents must be
  1. provided in paper format to the EDSTIC secretary
  2. and sent in PDF format at

1.1. Students with a Master from a French University

To enrol in UCA (Inria, I3S, LEAT, EpOC and I-City laboratories): To enrol in PSL (CMA laboratory):
  • Get in touch with Valérie Roy to apply for registration
  • Thesis charter of PSL to be signed by the student and his(her) PhD supervisor
And in both cases:
  • your detailed CV (ID photo required)
  • your Master diploma (or an attestation of success)
  • a half page description of the PhD subject (see with the PhD supervisor)
  • The 3 year funding contract of the PhD or an attestation from the laboratory describing this financing
  • A short letter of commitment of the supervisor for the duration of the PhD

1.2. Students with a foreign Master

In addition to the previous documents:
  • your master diploma with an accredited translation (translation not required for English, Italian or Spanish diplomas)
  • Description of the Master courses
  • Master thesis and any publications or communications

In addition, foreign students living in one of the countries listed in Campus France must register at the corresponding Campus France area. Registration at Campus France is necessary to obtain a student visa and to enrol in the University.

1.3. Co-directions and "cotutelles"

  • In case of co-direction, ask your supervisor to also complete the co-direction request form.
  • A cotutelle is a joint thesis between a French university and a foreign university. The student research time is shared between the two universities (usually at least one year in each university) with a thesis co-supervisor in each university. The defense takes place in one of the universities only, but the student receives a doctorate from each of the universities. A cotutelle agreement such as this one [FR] and [EN] (see with the secretariat for writing its final version) establishes the rules from the beginning of the thesis to the jury and the defense. Registration fees are paid in a one of the universities only.
  • Finally some universities, which do not deliver (yet) PhDs, ask for an international co-supervising agreement with a co-director in each university.

Applications are submitted for approval to the doctoral school and then to the university.
The secretary of ED STIC will send an e-mail, within about fifteen days, to enter the second step.


2. Administrative registration at the university records office

The Doctoral School only manages the pedagogical aspects of the PhD. At this point, it remains to enrol!

To enrol at the PSL University (CMA laboratory), please refer to this web site of the PSL University.

To enrol at the UCA University (all other laboratories of the ED STIC), wait for the previously mentioned confirmation by e-mail, and then go to the university records office "service de scolarité de Valrose" in Nice:
Université de Nice Sophia Antipolis,
Scolarité Sciences,
Bureau du 3e cycle
28, avenue Joseph Vallot,
06108 Nice
Phone : +33 (0)4 92 07 69 96
e-mail :

There, provide the registration authorization granted by UCA, a proof of funding, the registration form together with its required attached documents and the charter of correct use of IT resources. (French forms, ask your PhD supervisor or French students for help)

Students are enroled at the University only when the administrative registration is validated by the delivery of their student card.
Don't forget to re-register every year!


3. Get and stay in touch with us, as a PhD Student

3.1 Digital identity

Students registered with PSL will simply have to create their ADUM account and follow the instructions.

Students enrolled at UCA must, upon receipt of the student card, activate a student university mail address (of the form by using "sésame" at UNS. It is the only way to obtain information from de ED STIC (registrations, formations, fundings and so on). Note that even those who already have a university mail address (of the form must activate their student university mail address.

3.2. Welcome day

In November, ED STIC organizes a welcome meeting during which all relevant information is provided. Even if your registration is not complete by this date, be present.
For students arriving later in the academic year, it is strongly advised to join the welcome meeting held at the beginning of their second year.