General principle:The PhD supervisor evaluates when the thesis manuscript has the required quality to be submited to two reviewers. This criterion is decisive. Avant de continuer, merci de consulter la page consacrée à la place du Directeur de thèse durant la soutenance ici suite à l’application de l’arrêté du 25 mai 2016.
- Add 4 weeks to the time for the reviewers to read the document and return their report, it give you a provisional date for the PhD defense. This date to be indicated on the proposal for reviewers. The reviewers proposed by the thesis advisor must be firstly approved by the board of ED STIC.
- Provide the secretary with the following certificates:
- Certificates of professionalizing formations that have been followed outside of UCA or PSL (validated by the person in charge of each formation). Formations provided by UCA or PSL do not need certificates.
- Certificates of scientific formations (validated by the person responsible for each course). Colloquium Morgenstern give rise to lists that are transmitted directly to the EDs.
- And the table of the formations you followed during the PhD.
- Later on, the jury members must also be approved by the board of ED STIC and a date of effective PhD defense must be determined. It has to be indicated on the proposal for jury members form.
- When received, if the reviewers reports are positive, the process of PhD defense managed by the university is launched.
- Fetch the PhD defense documents from the secretariat before the defense.
- They must be returned promptly after the defense.
- Finally, any modifications of the manuscript requested by the jury must be made.
At least 9 weeks before the provisional date of PhD defense: proposal of 2 reviewers
The thesis supervisor must fill in the online proposal for reviewers form. It will be sent to the board of ED STIC with a copy to the supervisor and to the student after the thesis supervisor validates "ENVOYER" at the bottom of the form.
In case of acceptance by the ED STIC board, the 2 rapporteurs are appointed by the President of the University. They must be "HDR" or more precisely:
- Professors or considered as such by the National Council of Universities or of equivalent rank if they do not depend on the Ministry of National Education
- or staff of higher education institutions, public research organizations and research foundations, with the HDR (Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches) diploma
- Or, exceptionally, other holders of a doctorate, chosen on the basis of their scientific competence by the head of the University, on the proposal of the director of the doctoral school and after obtaining the aprobation of the scientific council of the University. In such a case, send by e-mail to the ED STIC, a complete CV of the proposed reviewer, with publications.
Please allow one week for the response of the ED STIC board. In case of refusal, an email correspondence is established between the board members and the thesis supervisor, usually via the secretariat.
After approval, an e-mail is sent to the reviewers, asking them to send their report no later than 18 days before the PhD defense.
Particular case:PhD manuscript in English, see here. Send a request to the secretary of the STIC ED, signed by the thesis supervisor and the doctoral student.
At least 8 weeks before the provisional date of PhD defense: Send the manuscript to the reviewersThe PhD student sends the PhD manuscript to the reviewers. They then have 5 weeks to prepare their report and send it (dated and signed) to the ED STIC secretariat, no later than 18 days before the date of the defense.
- by post and
- by email with attached review to firstname.lastname@example.org (signed and scanned).
At least 4 weeks before the date of PhD defense: proposal for the jury members
The thesis supervisor must fill in the online proposal for jury members form. Si le(s) directeur(s) de thèse participent à la soutenance, il(s) doit(vent) figurer dans la composition du jury. It will be sent to the board of ED STIC with a copy to the supervisor and to the student after the thesis supervisor validates "ENVOYER" at the bottom of the form.
- The jury must contain at least 4 members and at most 8 members (plus the invited members) and even if the thesis supervisor is not necessarily a jury member, it is the general practice and (s)he counts among the local members
- At least half of the jury members must be chosen outside the doctoral school and outside the University delivering the diploma
- At least half of the jury members must belong to "rangs A" researchers (research directors, Professors,...)
Beware, information given on this form are those of the official documents signed by the President of the University. No changes are possible after this form has been sent. Also, the title of the thesis can not be different on the manuscript.
- If members of the jury participate only in videoconferencing, how to do it in practice with letter of proxy.
- In-camera PhD defense: application for an in-camera defense and confidentiality undertaking.
- PhD thesis outside the University: The thesis supervisor makes a written request to the ED STIC direction, with proper explanations.
- European Doctorate is a "label" awarded by the University in addition to the Doctorate. The following 4 conditions are required:
- L'autorisation de soutenance est accordée au vu de rapports rédigés par au moins deux professeurs appartenant à deux établissements d'Enseignement Supérieur de deux Etats membres de la Communauté Européenne autres que celui dans lequel le doctorat est soutenu.
- The at least two reviewers are professors belonging to two higher education institutions from two Member States of the European Community, other than the one which delivers the PhD.
- At least one member of the jury must belong to a higher education institution in a Member State of the European Community other than the one which delivers the PhD.
- A part of the defense must be given in a European Community language other than French.
- Ce doctorat doit avoir été préparé, en partie, lors d'un séjour d'au moins un trimestre dans un autre pays membre de la Communauté (justificatif obligatoire).
- The PhD must have been prepared, in part, during a stay of at least one 3 monthes in another Member State of the European Community (writen proof needed).
3 weeks before the PhD defense
If the reviewer reports are positive, the ED STIC forward the order of defense to the Presidency of the University together with a copy of the reports and a copy of the reviewers and jury forms.
1 or 2 days before the PhD defense:
The doctoral candidate comes to the secretariat of ED STIC for the sealed defense envelope. It contains:
- The order of defense signed by the Presidency of the University,
- The reports of the reviewers, (un exemplaire de chacun des rapports est envoyé par mail à tous les membres du jury),
- The "procès-verbal" of the defense,
- The form for the decision of the jury on the reproduction of the manuscript,
- The report on the defense to be filled by the president of the jury.
Defense and deliberation:The president of the jury shall be elected by the members of the jury before the oral presentation. (S)he must belong to rang A or be HDR.
After the oral presentation,
- The jury members sign the "procès-verbal" of the defense, à l'exception du des directeur(s) de thèse,
- They participate to the text and sign the report must be written in French on the defense, Lorsque le rapport de soutenance fait état de la délibération, il doit figurer que cette décision a été prise par les membres du jury hors directeur(s) de thèse. (No collage admitted for this document).
- The president of the jury completes and signs the decision of the jury for the reproduction of the manuscript. see avis du jury - instructions for use.
At the end of the deliberations (where, by default, invited members are not invited), the president of the jury gives back to the ED STIC secretariat:
- the "procès-verbal" of the defense,
- the report on the defense,
- the decision of the jury for the reproduction of the manuscript: Write the name of the president of the jury.
- If the jury asks for modifications, the student has a period of 3 months to make these modifications and send the new manuscript to the library of the University.
- After one week (at least), a certificate of diploma can be obtained upon request at the records office scolarité de l'UFR Sciences of the University (not at ED STIC).
- Ask the final diploma also at the records office scolarité de l'UFR Sciences of the University (not at ED STIC), at least one year after the defense.